Toronto Dog Bite Lawyers
The Toronto dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law know how terrifying it is to experience an encounter with a vicious dog. One minute you’re strolling with your labradoodle on his leash and out of nowhere, you’re fending off a horrific dog bite attack – leaving both you and your dog with serious injuries. Apologies or denials of blame don’t matter. The law in Ontario is clear: the owner automatically must cover your damages and/or your dog’s veterinary bills.
If you, a family member, and/or your beloved pet are injured in a dog bite attack to ensure you get the compensation you deserve
Why work with our Toronto dog bite lawyers?
Surely an owner would know the law and pay for the damages with no argument … wouldn’t they? Toronto dog bite lawyers say, unfortunately no, not all of them will. Some owners recoil from paying damages, not realizing their strict liability under DOLA. To avoid messy arguments and denials of payment, it’s crucial to have Toronto dog bite lawyers back you up to seek a fair settlement.
Dog bite incidents and their litigation are increasing. The Toronto dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law have experience handling issues that arise in these personal injury cases including:
- Establishing who is considered the “owner” under DOLA: that’s the person who had care and control (was harbouring) the dog at the time. So, if a friend is walking the dog and it bites a child, they are considered the “owner” and liable – not the actual owner who wasn’t even there.
- Our Toronto dog bite lawyers will assist if the owner argues that you were partly to blame through your negligence. That means if you provoke the dog, the amount of compensation can be reduced. In the example of the child in the above paragraph, if the child got too close or startled the dog, some of the compensation could be offset to the percentage they are found to have caused the bite.
- Our Toronto dog bite lawyers have untangled complicated dog bite matters that involve establishing if liability is found under the Occupiers Liability Act. Section 3(1) says a property owner has a duty to ensure a premise is safe and so may be responsible for a dog attack.
- If you were committing a crime on the owner’s property, our Toronto dog bite lawyers would explain that the owner is not liable for your injuries.
Dog owners are liable if their dog bites you. Call or email Verkhovets Law, Toronto dog bite lawyers, and we’ll ensure they accept their responsibility for your compensation.
ensure they accept their responsibility for your compensation.
Toronto dog bite lawyers outline injuries
that arise from bites
Toronto dog bite lawyers outline injuries that arise from bites
- There are an estimated 5,000 dog bites a year in Ontario
- One to two annually are fatal dog attacks in Canada
- Toronto dog bite lawyers know children are injured more often by dog bites than adults
- The stats show the number of dog bites in this province is rising
- German Shepherds cause the most dog bites, followed by Labrador Retrievers, and Jack Russell Terriers
- Approximately three to 20 per cent of dog bite wounds become infected
While there are many types of potential physical injuries,
people can suffer severe psychological effects as well,
including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with intense
fear and debilitating symptoms, possibly for life.
Our Toronto dog bite lawyers have seen many different dog bite injuries:
- Crushed bones, ligaments, tendons
- Puncture wounds
- Psychological injuries
- Vision loss
Verkhovets Law, Toronto dog bite lawyers,
define the legal terms
Verkhovets Law, Toronto dog bite lawyers, define the legal terms
Our Toronto dog bite lawyers will calculate
Our Toronto dog bite lawyers will calculate your damages
damages in these types of matters can be complicated – and is done on a
case-by-case basis. Not all dog bites are the same; the compensation fits the injury
inflicted and the costs associated with healing. Our team of Toronto dog bite lawyers
will advise you to keep records of your treatments and
their progression and photographs of the injury.
Toronto dog bite lawyers calculate damages for:
- Current and future medical treatment
- Emotional trauma
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Plastic surgery
- Psychological treatment
Toronto dog bite lawyers will advise you if there are grounds for rare punitive
damages, for cases when the owner knew or ought to have known the dog was
dangerous, aggressive by nature, or gave the dog the order to attack you.
Our Toronto bouncer assault lawyers
also handle these types of claims:
Our Toronto bouncer assault lawyers also handle these types of claims:
And our Toronto dog bite lawyers will
help you with these types of personal
And our Toronto dog bite lawyers will help you with these types of personal injuries:
Soft tissue injuries
Our Toronto dog bite lawyers also handle
exotic animal attacks
Our Toronto dog bite lawyers also handle exotic animal attacks
Toronto exotic animal attack lawyers are aware that while the majority of animal attacks in Ontario are dog bites, there are incidents of exotic animal attacks in zoos. But that’s not the only place someone could legally own a tiger, which could potentially cause personal injury. While Toronto and Ottawa have bylaws against owning exotic animals, elsewhere, if it’s not Canadian wildlife or endangered, it’s fair game to own an exotic animal.
Our Toronto exotic animal attack lawyers note the area of exotic animal bites is evolving, but what is certain is the owner is liable. If it’s a zoo animal attack, the keeper is responsible.
Here are some examples of exotic animal attacks in zoos in Ontario:
- The Ontario Superior Court of Justice awarded a former couple $2.5 million in damages for a tiger mauling at a game park. The man was awarded $1.7 million and the woman $813,000. The court ruled that the park should be held “strictly liable for damages” arising from the exotic animal attack after a key finding that they did not ignore warnings to keep their car windows closed.
- An elephant trainer was seriously injured when the pachyderm he was feeding at an Ontario zoo picked him up and slammed him into a wooden structure. The trainer suffered serious and airlifted to hospital but fortunately his injuries were non-life-threatening.
- A video posted online shows lions attacking a car at a wild game park.