Dog Bite Lawyers in Newmarket, Ontario
The Newmarket dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law know how traumatic it is to be attacked by a vicious dog. You are out for a stroll with your labradoodle on a leash when all of a sudden, you are the target of a vicious dog bite attack that leaves you and your dog with serious wounds. Apologies or denials of blame are irrelevant. The law in Ontario is quite clear: the owner is automatically responsible for compensating your damages and/or the veterinary bills for your dog. The Newmarket dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law have compassion for their clients. And they have the expertise to get you the compensation you deserve.
According to the lawyers that represent victims of dog attacks at Verkhovets Law in Newmarket, the Dog Owners’ Liability Act (DOLA) holds the owner fully responsible for any damages that are incurred as a result of their dog biting a person or a domestic animal. You are under no obligation to provide any proof of your allegations against the owner. Personal injury lawyers in Newmarket that specialize in cases involving dog bites are aware, however, that instances like these can be challenging and that complications can arise. Any instance of negligence on your side, however, can impact on the amount of compensation you receive.
Why hire our Newmarket dog bite lawyers?
The Newmarket dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law have seen it happen more than once: some pet owners refuse to pay for the injuries caused by the attack of their dog because they are unaware of the legal obligations that come with owning a dog. They would claim, in the aftermath of an attack, that they had no clue the dog would ever act that way, and that they did nothing careless to trigger it to snap; therefore, it is not their fault that the dog attacked. They would also claim that their dog never attacked anyone or another dog before. However, according to DOLA, dog owners are 100 per cent responsible for the actions of their pets; as a result, the owner is responsible for any damages that occur as a result of a bite by their dog.
If a property owner understood the law, there would be no doubt about whether or not they would pay for the damages, wouldn’t there? However, some of them won’t, according to the lawyers in Newmarket who specialize in cases involving dog bites. Because they are not aware of their severe liability under the DOLA, some owners are reluctant to pay for the injuries and trauma that their dogs have caused. It is absolutely necessary to have Newmarket dog attack lawyers on your side when negotiating a reasonable settlement in order to prevent strained arguments and payment refusals.
Both the number of reported dog bites and the number of related lawsuits are on the rise. The Newmarket dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law have experience dealing with the complications that can arise in personal injury cases such as the following:
- To determine who is considered the dog’s “owner” under DOLA, look to the person who had care and control of the dog at the time and was “harboring” it. If a child gets bitten by a dog while it is being walked by a friend, the friend is held responsible as the dog’s “owner,” not the actual owner, who wasn’t even present at the time of the incident.
- Our Newmarket dog attack lawyers are here to assist you in the event that the dog’s owner asserts that your negligence contributed in some way to the incident. That example, if you make the dog angry, it is possible that your payout will be reduced. In the example of the child that was given in the preceding paragraph, if the youngster got too close to the dog or terrified it, then some of the compensation might be reduced by the percentage that it was determined that the child was responsible for causing the bite.
- Our Newmarket dog attack lawyers have successfully resolved complex dog bite cases requiring the application of the Occupiers Liability Act to the question of who is at fault. A property owner has a responsibility under Section 3(1) to ensure the safety of their premise and may be held accountable for injuries caused by a dog attack if they fail to do so.
- Our Newmarket dog bite lawyers will explain that the dog’s owner is not responsible for your injuries if you were perpetrating a crime (such as robbery, burglary, or a home invasion) on the owner’s property when you were attacked by the dog.
If you are bitten by a dog, the owner of the dog is the one liable for your injuries and therefore compensation. Simply give the Newmarket dog bite lawyers office of Verkhovets Law a call or send them an email, and we’ll see to it that they accept responsibility and provide adequate compensation for any injuries you or your dog incurred.
Lawyers in Newmarket that specialize in dog bite cases explain the many kinds of injuries that can be caused by an attack
When it comes to dog bites, even the tiniest teacup poodle is capable of attacking you and/or your pet and causing a wide range of injuries. This is something that the Newmarket dog bite lawyers at Verkhovets Law are aware of. Canada is home to 7.7 million dogs, and attacks on humans by dogs are a very serious matter. Injuries can range from severe face disfigurement that requires plastic surgery to fractured bones, open wounds, and even a scratch. Plastic surgery may be required for severe facial disfigurement.
The City of Newmarket has a list of things to do after being bitten by a dog, and among those things is the recommendation that if the dog bite punctured your skin, you should seek immediate medical attention. Dogs have over 600 different types of bacteria living in their mouths.
Here are some further facts on dog bites:
- It is estimated that every year, there are 5,000 dog bites in the province of Ontario.
- According to the statistics, there has been a rise in the number of dog bites that have occurred in this province.
- Every year, there are anywhere from one to two fatal dog attacks that take place in Canada.
- Personal injury lawyers in Newmarket who specialize in cases involving dog attacks are aware that children are more likely to sustain injuries as a result of dog bites than adults.
- German Shepherds are responsible for the most dog bites, followed by Labrador Retrievers and Jack Russell Terriers.
- Infection can develop in anywhere from three to twenty per cent of dog bite wounds.
Have you been injured recently?
You can also chat to one of our team members or call/text us at:
Your compensation will be calculated by a dog bite lawyer from our firm in Newmarket
The Newmarket dog attack lawyers at Verkhovets Law will tell you that assessing damages in these types of injuries may be challenging and must be done on a case-by-case basis. This is because each dog bite or animal attack is unique. There are a variety of different types of dog attacks; the amount of compensation is determined by the extent of the injuries and the expenses associated with healing and rehabilitation. Our Newmarket dog bite lawyers will strongly recommend that you photograph the injuries and keep a record of the treatments you have had, as well as their progression.
Newmarket dog attack lawyers evaluate compensation for:
- Current and future medical treatment
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Plastic surgery
- Lost income
- Psychological treatment
Your case may be eligible for punitive damages, which are awarded in situations where the owner knew, or should have known the dog was dangerous, aggressive by nature, or gave the dog the command to attack you on purpose. The personal injury lawyers who represent victims of dog attacks in Newmarket will advise you as to whether or not you have a case for punitive damages.